We are making progress on the Mudroom Bench. No more showing it to you until it is installed! I had planned on using an outdoor cushion that I bought on clearance but Hubby did not like how it fit the bench and honestly I wanted something a little more swanky. We have both put in a lot of work on this project and it will be the first thing that people see when they come into our home. I am making pillows for the bench too that you will see this week. We have completed the cushion to go on the bench. I learned a ton on this project. Hubby and I have upholstered many things over the years, but I had not ever tried anything tufted. My inspiration came from Daily Do It Yourself . I did not know how to cover buttons with fabric but Hubby had some experience (his sisters both sew) so we got started. I bought this button making kit at Hobby Lobby. I love those 40% off coupons.
The kit would would only make three buttons, but you can buy refill buttons for $1.99. Not bad. I bought 12 buttons all together. The kit provides a template to draw circles on the fabric.
I got all 12 drawn out on a tiny scrap of fabric. It does not take much to do the buttons.
Place the fabric in the form provided, back side up.
Then put the rounded part of the button into the mold.
Like magic the fabric curls in when you press down on the rounded button part.
Put the part of the button that has the ring on it into the mold next. The kit comes with a blue pressing tool. Press until you feel a click.
It got tricky after this part. Hubby had already cut a piece of scrap 1/2 inch plywood cut to size. We looked at several websites about tufted pillows. His next statement filled me with fear. “This will be easy, all we need is a tape measure, ruler, calculator and a pencil.” A calculator? Hubby is a math teacher so I immediately passed the chore of marking where the buttons went off to him.
He drilled a hole where each button should go then we placed the board across two chair backs. This allowed me to work on top and bottom at the same time. We layered foam on top of the board that was also cut to size and then the fabric. I even ironed! I used an upholstery needle and heavy weight thread to go through the hole in the wood, the foam and the fabric. I then put the button on the thread then back down through everything. Finding the hole in the wood was a pain at first but I got better. I did not tie the buttons at this point. I left the thread hanging.
Once all 12 were in we carefully flipped everything over on the floor, buttons down. Hubby stood on the board while I pulled the thread tight. He screwed a small screw in by each button for me to tie off. I then stapled the thread to make sure it stayed secure. Next I used my trusty electric staple gun to staple the fabric down around the edges.
It turned out great.
Look at how straight the buttons are down the cushion. Great job done by the mathematician.
The cushion is now ready for the bench. The cost was not too bad, but way more than my $7.00 cushion I originally planned to use. The fabric was a linen remnent that I only paid $3.00 for. The buttons cost $5.00. The big expense was the foam. $20.00, even with a coupon. It is going to look great on the bench.