I decided that this year I would use what I have on hand to decorate the mantle. Over the year I had purchased a dictionary at a resale shop for 50 cents, I picked up a rough bulletin board when my neighbor moved out, I purchased a torn up hymnal at a garage sale for 25 cents, and I had a couple of ginger jar vases left from my son’s wedding.
I picked up two yards of drapery fabric at Hancock’s Fabric on super clearance for $2.35.
The first step was to draw off a large S on cardboard. The S was covered with pages from the hymnal. I used regular old school glue thinned down to a watery mixture. I did the same with dictionary pages wrapped on the ginger jars.

20121222-073343.jpg
Buy old dictionaries when you find them. They are one of my favorite decorating items.

20121222-073708.jpg

20121222-073437.jpg

20121222-073759.jpg
The paper flowers were made by layering some concentric circles of dictionary pages in top of each other then stitching through the stack with jute twine. I made slits in the layers then wrinkled each layer.

20121222-074313.jpg

20121222-073833.jpg

20121222-073816.jpg
I covered the old bulletin board with fabric. Super easy. I used a staple gun.

20121222-074516.jpg

20121222-074529.jpg

The large S was attached to the fabric with hot glue.
The flowers were attached to some salvaged glass jars I painted teal.
I took pages of the hymnal to create a JOY banner.
The jars were filled with spray painted branches from the yard and two packages of Dollar Tree ornaments. Everything else came from the house,
All in all I am proud of my mantle. Less than $10.00 spent and totally unique.

20121222-083141.jpg

20121222-083205.jpg

20121222-083233.jpg

Advertisements