Home

Getting Serious About the Guest Shed

Leave a comment

Ever since we bought our 15 acres with a ton of out buildings on the property one of them has held my heart. This beauty:

We call her The Guest Shed

I am not sure what the original owner built it for, but the last owner turned it into a wood working shop complete with reclaimed hardwood flooring and running water. I have always envisioned the building as a guest house. I have talked about it here on the blog in 2015 then again in 2017. Life got in the way. Two granddaughters, commuting to work, my parents home flooded twice due to hurricanes… we just didn’t get it done.

Well we are finally getting serious about getting it done. The old porch has been removed, the concrete porch has been ripped up, a new slab has been poured with plumbing drains installed. We have had contractors give us estimates on putting in new roof trusses that will allow us to raise the ceiling height and cover the new addition

The exterior is going to have a metal roof, mostly board and batten siding with some reclaimed wood on the bump out bathroom, and a small covered porch. I have been collecting ideas on Pinterest for oh, about six years and have changed my vision along the way somewhat. I have also been collecting things for the house the whole time. I am using Google Slides as a vision board for what I am planning.

The paint is going to be the reverse colors we are using on our home. Behr Dove main color and Taupewood trim. I am so excited to see this come to fruition. Next step in the process is to get everything out of the building, get the walls and porch built for the bathroom, the front door moved over and a regular sized door installed. All that has to be done before the contractor can start the trusses. Wish us luck!

We love hearing from you!

Blessings,

Karen

The Greenhouse Gets a Makeover

Leave a comment

Sometimes I just get wild idea and drag Mr. Math along with me to do a project at our house. The greenhouse makeover is not one of my wild idea projects. The old harvest gold building reached the point where it got moved to the top of our to do list when the last warm front blew through here and the fiberglass roof panels lifted with each gust of wind and ripped the 25 year old (just guessing here but it is really, really old) corrugated panels away from the screws. We were sitting on our back porch watching the storm move in when we saw that the day had come to repair or tear down the old eyesore. I really hadn’t paid attention to how much it deteriorated. It was always ugly, and I hated looking out at our backyard and seeing it. Before tearing down the old fiberglass panels, I climbed up on the ladder to look at the roof and snapped this picture. It was gross.

I really was willing to just tear the building down even though we use it because we have so many projects going but for once Mr. Math was the one wanting to save something so rebuilding the greenhouse got started. The first thing to do was take off the roof. It was by far the hardest part.

The roof was too fragile to get on any more than necessary so a lot of the work was done from inside on ladders.

There was a lot of up ad down latters, but once the roofing was down, Mr. Math saw immediately that the wooden sill plate was rotted from water leaks in the roof and as he tore in the amount of rot was a lot worse than he thought. It took a whole day to get rotted wood out and new wood back in. I didn’t get a picture because I was painting the doors on the porch and carport but the dude worked hard. Once everything was repaired we were back to the roof. All together we put up 16 pieces of clear fiberglass corrugated roofing and replaced the ridge cap. As with most things, we got better and more efficient as we went along. I did all the ground level work like handing up the sheets of fiberglass and tools and cleaning up the mess. Mr. Math sat on the roof, lined each piece up and screwed it in. All in the roof install only took about four hours but the set up took a while too. The overhang was cut down to four inches after finishing the install to get it nice and neat.

We got busy putting the siding up as soon as we finished the roof. It was slow but steady work getting all the siding up. We got quicker as we learned what worked and I was very happy to have a math teacher figuring out the angles and matching up corrugated bumps and valleys on the eaves. Probably more time was spent driving back and forth for supplies. It is a two hour round trip to get a box of the special screws for the siding, ask me how I know… We made a bold decision to put up dark gray siding with a clear roof and eaves. There is plenty of light coming in the top to keep the plants we store in there when it is cold or get seedlings started and potting supplies. Since we store outdoor games and chairs in there, the opaque sides will be better for us.

Because the building will get warm in the warmer weather we are installing an exhaust fan with a thermostat so that it will move air when it gets too warm and also a vent that will let in fresh air.

We are not done with the building but it is now solid and dried in. That is good news since we are going to have record low temperatures the next few days. The plants will be inside where they will survive.

Altogether we put up 22 panels on the sides in addition to the 16 and spent close to a thousand dollars. That seemed like a lot of money to me but it is a concrete foundation 12 by 15 foot building and would have cost a lot of money to build.

Our next steps on the building are to add stained cedar siding trim on the corners, around the door and window, get shelving and storage built and the inside organized and the fan/vent installed. I also have a window that I will be installing on the back wall to help with ventilation.

We are so happy to have you follow along with us as we work on our projects.

Blessings,

Karen