Home

Getting Close to Finishing the Yellow and Gray Bedroom

Leave a comment

I am getting close to finishing the bedroom. I have been exhausted from my real work, so not much has been happening at the city house.  I am still waiting for two pillows to arrive and I need a curtain rod for the sheer curtains going in the window but other than that all the elements are in the room. 

Here is what I got done today.

Silhouette Birds for over the bed.

I used two frames that I have had since the Southern Belle moved to Savannah years ago.  I wrapped some fabric left from the owl project around a piece of cardboard.  A quick google search of royalty free silhouette birds landed several options. 

 

 
 
 

Here are two of the birds I found.
 
 
 
I printed the birds on the computer printed then carefully cut them out.  I used some spay adhesive to attache them to the fabric then put them in the frame.  Easy.  And best of all, free.
 

I have had some hob nail milk glass globes for a while.  I got them for fifty cents each and have been looking for a project to use them on.  I want the night stands to display some of the things I have collected for the room so I wanted hanging lights.  Hubby found the parts for the hanging lamps by shopping hardware stores around us because Lowe’s and Home Depot did not have the hardware needed.  He spent $2.50 on each light kit and then $13.00 on each swag kit. 

 I had to sand and spray the light kits black.  They looked much better.
 
Hubby wired it together with the swag kit.
 
Swag Kit
 
I am not sure I love the light yet.  I am not happy with how the lamps came out but I have a plan to fix them. I think the chain is too distracting on the busy wall.  I have a plan, but I have to get Hubby to build what I need.  Thank goodness he is such a good sport.
 
 
 
 

Felt Rosette DIY Making a Wreath for the Yellow and Gray Bedroom

Leave a comment

As you may know I am trying to redecorate a bedroom for less than $150.00.  So far I am on track.  I wanted to make a wreath using felt roseettes but when I looked at felt and how much it was going to cost to make what I wanted, I knew that it would be easy to spend $20.00 on a wreath if I wasn’t careful.  I did what I know how to do… I shopped.  I scored 7/8 yard of gray felt for $1.07 on the remnent rack.  Yeah!  That was enough fabric for two projects with some to spare. 

I searched for instructions to make felt roses.  Here is the process that I used:

 I completely laid these out in reverse order.  Sorry. 
1.  Cut out a circle from the felt.  I used a plastic cereal bowl for the pattern.
2.  Cut a spiral in the circle. Below that is how it looks stretched out.

3.  Begin with the end you cut first, start wrapping around in a circular motion.

Hot glue on the bottom to secure the rose. 

I went shopping for a grapvine wreath and was shocked that even at Walmart a grapevine wreath was going to be $6.00.  I wanted to kick myself for all the wreaths that I have donated or sold in garage sales  in the past.  I figured that if I had donated them, others had too.  I found one for a dollar at a resale shop. 

The wreath had seen better days…
I spray painted the wreath white. 
Everything on top of the dresser cost $4.50.  I need to get some white candles but otherwise it is complete.  The plaque came from a free table at a resale shop.  It had a really unfortunate paint job.  Whitel spray paint fixed that.  The vase was $1.00 at a resale shop.  It also had an awful glaze.  The same white spraypaint already on hand in the Garagemahal fixed it.   I used up two half cans of white spray paint for this project. I really am trying to use up what I have on hand. The silverplated candle sticks were fifty cents each.