Here it is spring break and already I am thinking about our summer projects.
We have three big projects to get done this summer.
1. We are going to redo our kitchen. Not a total gut, but repainting the cabinets, replacing the backsplash, new counter top, new farmhouse sink, new light fixture, and wall paint.
The picture above shows the kitchen the day we decided to buy the house. No more ceiling fan, a different peninsula light, recessed lighting installed, and a gas stove installed are the only structural changes that have occurred since we bought it.
The cabinets are going to be white and we are going to add a shaker style to them by adding to the cabinet faces.
Source: Home Depot
I think that the backsplash is going to large subway tile. I think. Not sure yet.
The counter tops are for sure going to be quartz that looks like marble.
Source: Home Depot
I think we are looking at something like santa margherita lyskamm
Once I decide on the backsplash I can get the wall paint color picked out.
The sink is going to be a white farmhouse sink. I am thinking about this one from Home Depot.
I haven’t decided for sure about the kitchen light but it is NOT going to be a huge fluorescent fixture. I really like this one from Home Depot.
2. We are going to get the guest shed started. This summer we are going to get the dropped ceiling in, fix the walls, get the plumbing moved and hopefully get the bathroom concrete poured. I really want it finished this summer but the reality is that if we get that far, we can work on the interior of the building a project at a time. We may have to have someone do our bathroom. I am not sure how time will work for us but I want us to have a space for family and friends to come and stay. I cannot wait for you to see my vision for the guest shed.
3. This project shouldn’t take long, but we really need an outdoor kitchen. Not want, we need one. I am not a germophobe but I cannot stand raw fish in my house. Ever. Like never. I really don’t love raw chicken in the house, either. If it is going to get grilled outside, it may as well get prepped outside, too. This is frankly the first project that needs to get done, so I have a sink to wash dishes in and food prep area when the inside kitchen is under construction. ( Just say no to washing dishes in the bathtub ever again.)
A sink station with a stainless steel sink and faucet out of our hoard. The top needs to be tile topped to make it more weather resistant.
Source: Studio C
We have electricity and water at the corner of the space so adding the sink right outside the deck and cabinets along the wall makes sense.
Counter space with cabinets underneath and around the grill. One set of wall cabinets for things like grill spray, oven mitts, and BBQ tools. We are going to use treated lumber for a shell, then clad it all in reclaimed cedar and tin.
Open the deck rail and extend the deck so that it is more comfortable for guests and has the smoker readily available. Also replace the wood parts on the smoker.
I didn’t make the deck look nice for pictures today. Mr. Math was on the tractor today but has promised to get it all cleaned up for our next get together so soon enough it will get power washed, scrubbed down and organized.
The projects sound daunting but we can do it. We also aren’t afraid to get help it it is too much. We are going to hire out the quartz counter tops and may have to hire help to get the decking done.
It looks like we will be closing on our home Friday. We now have a closing date and time at the title company. The insurance guy has gone to take pictures, and he survey is completed. Whew. This has been a struggle.
Before Mr. Math has to return to work, we want to get the kitchen up and running.
Here is how the kitchen looks today:
I found this inspiration picture on TomKat Designs
There are a lot of elements in this picture.
Here are the plans to get the kitchen spruced up that should be doable this summer:
1. The carpet must go. Vinyl plank floating floor is going in as soon as it comes in. Currently it is back ordered until August 5th.
2. The fluorescent light is coming down and pot lights are going in around the kitchen.
3. The ceiling fan is coming out.
4. There is a huge pantry on the other side of the refrigerator that is coming out so that a walkway can be put in to open up the space. We are going to put in a pantry in the laundry room.
5. Pendant lights are going over the island. I plan on working on some IKEA pendants to get the look I want.
6. A farmhouse sink is going in. I have decided that I wNt a double farmhouse sink. I love the way it looks in the kitchen of House of Smiths.
7. The cabinet doors are getting a makeover.
8. The laminate will be replaced with Quartz.
9. The cabinets will be painted two toned and hardware added.
We will be keeping white appliances because one day I hope to have a vintage stove…one day.